You probably belong to at least one Facebook group, right? They’re a great gathering place for people to discuss and engage with each other over a shared topic. There’s a Facebook group for everything these days it seems.
There’s political groups, mom groups, yardsale groups, crafters groups, business groups, and the list goes on and on.
But have you ever thought about starting a Facebook group specifically for your business? If you haven’t, then you really should consider it. This could be a great component to your social media strategy.
This can be a great way to connect with your audience, grow your brand, extend your community and in the long run, help increase your sales!
They do take a lot of time and attention and aren’t for the faint of heart, but if set up and managed correctly, can be so worth it!
Why should I start a Facebook group when I already have a business page?
Facebook groups are different from your business page, in one key area. They promote interaction and engagement with other members, not just with you!
Obviously, you want to show up and post and chat with your members as often as possible, but promoting a sense of community is what a Facebook group’s ultimate goal is.
Here are a few angles you can take when starting your own group.
1. Exclusive VIP Treatment. Everyone loves feeling like they are part of an exclusive crowd. Starting a Facebook group specifically for customers that have bought from you in the past, or are part of your email list could be a great place to start.
When you run a sale or come out with a new product, share it in your Facebook group first and stress that they’re getting first dibs on that new product.
2. Current Happenings in Your Niche–Using your Facebook group to discuss the latest news, updates, and changes in your niche is another great way to utilize your group.
You could make your Facebook group a place to discuss the latest trends in jewelry with the customers who have bought your earrings. Or how about a mom’s group to discuss their toddlers’ antics for customers who have bought your baby hair bows? The possibilities in this area are truly endless!
3. Communicate With Brand Ambassadors–If you are a business that has a few brand ambassadors, and want a place to gather your team together, this would be the perfect place to do that!
Your brand reps can come together and collaborate on ideas, social media hashtags, or just to simply talk about your awesome products with each other. This would also be a great place to have some loyal fans available for product testing if you needed a warm test audience.
Okay, I’m ready to start a group, but how do I get people to join?
The biggest struggle we face when starting a new Facebook group is how to let people know it’s there. You can’t have an active, engaged community if you only have two members.
Ideas on how to grow your group could include:
- Add an invitation to join your Facebook group in your email signature. Just add a link at the bottom and a call to action.
- On all your pages where you’re linking to Facebook (Your Etsy store, Website, etc) add the link to join your Facebook group instead of directing people to your business page.
- Link your business page and your Facebook group, and use the CTA (Call to Action) button on your business page to send people to your group.
- Make a fun Facebook cover photo that highlights your brand and encourages people to come to check out your group.
- Join other Facebook groups that allow self-promotions and use these groups to bring people to yours. (Be very careful to read the rules of these groups to make sure that this is something that’s allowed!)
I’ve got some people in my group, now what?
Another challenge faced by Facebook group owners is how to get your members to engage with each other. This can be tricky because no one likes to be the first to comment on a post.
Some fun ideas you could use to get the ball rolling could be:
- Use polls/challenges/contests to get your members engaged and excited. Consider giving away a shop credit, or an E-Gift card as prizes to the winners. (everyone loves Target!)
- Ask fun questions and require replies to be a GIF or picture, people love answering questions in quirky unique ways.
- Make sure you’re commenting and posting the most so that people can get to know you and feel more comfortable participating.
- Give everyone an opportunity to share wins, making sure to encourage and celebrate with them!
The unfortunate truth is that a regular post on your business page is a fleeting thing. We can post something today and only a handful of our fans or customers will see it, thanks to algorithms and time of day.
And then a few days later you can post an update, and an entirely new group of people will see the update without ever having seen the first post.
There’s a real disconnect from one post to the next. Within a Facebook group, however, this isn’t as much of an issue. This fact makes it easier to connect with other people, and have real connections form between you and your audience.
A Facebook group can, and definitely should be, a place where all different kinds of people come together to spend time sharing thoughts and ideas. People are joining Facebook groups because they’re a safe place to have real interactions and share parts of their lives.
By starting a Facebook group for your business, and making sure to engage with your members, you can promote your brand in a completely non-salesy fashion.
And hopefully, you’ll have a little fun while you’re at it!